Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chowder


This is a very versatile recipe, which is one of the reasons I like it. I also like that it is healthy and my kids eat it.

My favorite way to eat it is to dip herb or cheese flavored bread in the soup.




2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 Tb butter
2 Tb flour
1 (14 oz) can chicken or vegi broth
2 cups refrigerated, diced potatoes w/onions
2 1/2 cups whole milk
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

  • In saucepan, cook celery in butter for 5 min. Stir in flour until combined. Stir in broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add potatoes and bring to a boil again.
  • Add salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 min. Slightly mash potatoes. Stir in milk and bacon.
Variations
  1. Add 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, 8 oz. chicken tenders (cooked and chopped) and 1 tsp dried tarragon or oregano.
  2. Cook 1 sweet pepper and 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes with celery. (My kids won't eat it if I include the red pepper flakes.) Add 8 oz grilled tuna or salmon, cut in bite sizes.
  3. Add 12 oz. crab meat, drained and 13 oz artichoke hearts, drained. Add 2 tsp dried basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment